Why I Returned to Being a Flight Attendant After 13 Years

November 24, 2015
gp
Why I Returned to Being a Flight Attendant After 13 Years

In my early twenties, I became a flight attendant because I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life. I was in my first year of college, and I couldn’t focus on school so I knew I had to make a change. My mom, a former flight attendant, saw an ad for a major airline hiring flight attendants and the rest is history. The first few years of my career, I enjoyed everything about it. I loved traveling, meeting new people, exploring new destinations and not working in an office. Unfortunately, due to the tragedy of September 11th, my career as a flight attendant came to an end after seven short years.

Once I left the airlines, I lived abroad and called Tokyo, London, Paris and St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands my home. When I moved back to California, I enrolled in school and began working in entertainment public relations. Working in PR was fun, fast-paced and glamorous. On many occasions, I walked the red carpet at movie premiers and album release parties, and attended private events.

While the perks were good, the job was demanding and it wasn’t conducive to having a life outside of work. I stayed in the industry for years, but I knew it wasn’t going to last forever. Last year, I started looking for a new career and, somehow, I found my old one.

So, why did I return to this career after such a long absence? Well, in 2011, I married my awesome husband and we started this incredible life of travel together. In the first four years of marriage, we traveled to eight countries despite me only having two weeks of vacation each year. Plus, it wasn’t long before the travel bills started piling up from our extravagant vacations.

One day, we were talking and I said, “You know how we could save money on travel and I could have more time off?” My husband, obviously, was eager to find out. I told him that I had been toying with the idea of returning to the airlines and I wanted to find out what he thought. I’m sure you can guess what he said!

Now, 13 years later, I find myself in the familiar blue polyester uniform, wheeling my suitcase behind me and navigating my way through congested airports. The sights and sounds are the same but I’m looking at them through new eyes. As the old saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder. I’m much more appreciative of being a flight attendant now than I was back then, and I realize that this is an incredible career. To be honest, there are tons of reasons that made me return to being a flight attendant after 13 years but here are my top five:

1. Travel

We save a large amount of money on travel by using my flight benefits. For example, we flew first class, round-trip to Barcelona for $67 and Paris for $123. These flights normally run for about $25K! Talk about saving money! Plus, we travel for free anywhere my company flies within the United States.

2. Flexibility

A common misconception about flight attendants is that we’re never home. That couldn’t be further from the truth because I only work 12-15 days per month. I work less than people with 9 to 5 jobs!

Check out Pink Pangea’s Writing, Yoga, and Meditation Retreats.

3. Benefits.

I have excellent medical insurance! When I have a child, I get six months maternity leave with an option to extend it for another six months. Yep, that’s right, I could be at home with my bundle of joy for a full year.

4. Environment

I don’t go to the same office and sit at the same desk everyday. My office changes from one aircraft to the next and so does my crew. Being a flight attendant can, at times, feel like being in a sorority or fraternity because you meet the crew and instantly become lifelong friends!

5. People

I’m a very social person and a huge part of my job is communicating with people from all walks of life. I’ve met everyone from CEOs and stay-at-home moms to dignitaries and steel workers and I enjoy every minute of my time with each person. I consider myself lucky because I have a wonderful career as a flight attendant and a way to pursue my passion for travel blogging.

About Mia Herman

Mia HermanI’m Mia, as in Travel with Mia! I’m a flight attendant, wife, blogger, and amateur photographer who has traveled to many beautiful destinations. In my former life, I attended Arizona State University where I studied Communications and I spent my time working as an entertainment publicist, marketing executive and social media analyst. Currently, I’m on a mission to see the world and, fortunately, I have a wonderful career that allows me to do just that!

18 thoughts on “Why I Returned to Being a Flight Attendant After 13 Years

1. Lemsnickety
    February 9, 2016

Hi, Mia! I have been contemplating on going back to flying and then I read your article. I flew for 7 years and quit in 2011 to pursue what I thought was the career I really wanted. Needless to say, that career didn’t work for me and now all I can think of is be a flight attendant again after 5 years. And believe me when I say it’s just really all I can think of right now. But the thing is I have just gotten married 2 months ago and my concern is that, say I get hired, there’s no guarantee I will be based where my husband and I live. I dread the idea of moving to another city without him since he’s also just started his new job. But I feel like the sky is calling me once again and I do feel so strongly about it. Your article has inspired me to move forward but I just can’t help feeling like I’m an awful wife in case this push through. ?

2. November 30, 2015

What great maternity leave benefits! I have imagined myself as a flight attendant many a time. Nice article – sometimes you have to go full circle in order to know where you truly belong. 🙂

3. November 30, 2015

12-15 days a month!? You’ve actually got me tempted, it sounds like the perfect job for a traveller. The flight deals sound great as well, it’s awesome that you have a job that allows you blogging time because I love your blog! 😀

4. November 29, 2015

WOW! You made a full circle and came back to what you love. Of course the benefits are awesome. Hmm. I should look into being a flight attendant!

5. November 29, 2015

Holy wow those travel benefits are amazing!! The cost of flying is so cheap that I would consider looking into becoming a flight attendant too!! Hmmmm … got me thinking now!!

6. November 28, 2015

I loved reading about your return to the skies Mia. I always wanted to be an FA when I was younger! The perks sound even better than I expected. First Class for $67 and free travel in the U.S. sounds incredible. Happy travels!

7. I’ve always thought this would be a great profession but my fear of flying is a huge barrier. Do you ever have fears while flying or scary situations while in the air?

8. November 28, 2015

I was so ready to become a flight attendant in my early 20s. However, I found that I’d have to move to a bigger city (hub for airlines preferably) and I just wasn’t ready for that at the time. I’m sure it would have fueled my fire even more to travel but ultimately am glad that I took a different path

9. November 28, 2015

You did it right! You still have great travel opportunities which is important!

10. November 28, 2015

Sounds like being a flight attendant is an ideal job for someone who likes the freedom and flexibility to travel. If you’ve noticed, in the recent past, a lot of focus is on how difficult the job is and how annoying it can get on a daily basis, but thank you for highlighting the obvious perks that the job brings.

Mia Herman
      November 28, 2015

Natasha, you’re right, there are difficult aspects to my job and some days it can be hard but that comes with every job in every industry. I think if a job has more pros than cons, you’re winning. On those hard days, I plan my next vacation in my head and the stress just melts away!

11. Shelia Newton
    November 26, 2015

Mia, I am super proud of you and your accomplishments. Keep up the good work and continue to follow your dreams. This is a great article!!!

Mia Herman
      November 28, 2015

Hi Sheila! Thank you for the support. I’m having a wonderful time in my career and I have a wonderful husband who supports my passions in life. What more can a girl ask for?! 🙂

12. Shay T.
    November 25, 2015

Wow. This is so awesome Mia. When you left KC, you LEFT kc. 🙂 Super happy for you.

Mia Herman
      November 28, 2015

Thank you, Shay! I’m definitely living the dream out here in California. I’ve been here for 17 years and I’ve never looked back on those two years in K.C.! Glad I was there to meet you though!

13. Julie Weinstock
    November 24, 2015

Great article!! For a long time, I thought about what it would be like to be a flight attendant. (I also love to travel and meet new people) Reading this made me really want to jump into that! Thank you for posting this.

Mia Herman
      November 24, 2015

Thank you, Julie! Sounds like you’d be a great flight attendant! If you need any advice on the application and hiring process, feel free to reach out to me. 🙂

• Evie
        June 10, 2016

Hi, Mia.

I’m very interested in getting into flight attending. I have experience working in hospitality and customer service. This seems like a dream job, as I am a travel addict and don’t mind flying one bit. I would love to know more about the application and hiring process, please.

Regards,