5 Sydney Beaches that are Better than Bondi
Anyone who travels to Sydney has heard about Bondi Beach. It’s famous for its bikini clad babes and TV star lifeguards. It’s almost as much of an icon as the Opera House. But beaches abound on this city by the sea, so be sure to check out these five beaches that are better than Bondi.
1. Balmoral: This quiet beach town is the perfect spot to sun yourself. Pack a picnic to enjoy on the grassy cliffs or stop into the Bathers’ Pavilion for lunch. There are hardly any waves, so it’s a great place to launch a paddle board or go for a swim.
2. Bronte: Take a walk along the beautiful Bondi to Coogee cliff walk until you reach Bronte. It’s still a great place to surf and you don’t have to fight the crowds. A small strip of cafes lines the main street. Take your pick for a morning coffee before grabbing your place on the sand.
3. Camp Cove: Part of the Harbor’s South Head, Camp Cove is the perfect place to while away your day. Lie on the beach, eat lunch on the pier, and take a walk around the heads to watch the sunset over the city in the distance. A loop walk takes you around a lighthouse where, if you time it right, you might spot a migrating whale.
4. Milk Beach: Head to Nielson Park and keep walking until you find yourself on this tiny patch of sand with the harbor’s best views back over the city. Bring your Esky (cooler) and a floatation device for optimum enjoyment.
5. Palm Beach: It’s a small treck from Sydney by bus, but it’s well worth the journey. Famous for being the setting of the ever popular soap opera, Home and Away, it’s a gem of Sydney’s north. Walk to the lighthouse before taking a dip in the rock pool.
There are more Sydney beaches than days in a week, so whether you’re after surfing, swimming or sunning, be sure to grab a map and get out to explore.